Small Group Questions
Taking Back Monday
from November 12
- This might be more difficult for some to answer… What’s your favorite part of your job? What’s your favorite part of your job? (Keep in mind; we don’t all equate “job” with a paycheck.)
- There are a number of words that we use to define work: job, occupation, career, or vocation. Is there a difference among those terms? Does it matter to you what word or words you use to explain what you do?
- Read Ecclesiastes 1.1-11 together. Remember – this is Solomon, king, leader among men, wisest among the wise. This isn’t some armchair philosopher with a pessimistic worldview. So what do we do with this? How can this help frame our understanding of work?
- Read Ecclesiastes 4.4-6. Think about your work. Are you tired or exhausted? Is it the demands of the job that weigh you down? Or maybe it’s your perspective? Or perhaps it’s a bit of both?
- Thinking in personal or general terms, what do you think drives us to identify our self-worth with our work? This is a big question that speaks to us regardless of income or job title.
- Read 1 John 3.1. How does this help you? Challenge you? How do we allow God to define our worth? And how does that change our understanding of work?