Following Jesus Into New Territory
Small Group Questions from April 8th
- Share a story of when you’ve done something that was a brand new experience…traveled overseas, changed careers, new baby…anything like that. What were your fears? What was good? What was challenging? What did you learn?
- Read Acts 1.3-11 together.
- Before you talk about what you just read, think about what had happened before this part of the story. To their shock and devastation, Jesus was put to death. Where did that leave the disciples? What was their reaction? What might they have been thinking?
- Then, as we know, three days later, Jesus rose from the dead. No one, not a single one of them, was expecting that to happen. So at this point, what are they thinking, what are the feeling?
- Then we arrive here in Acts, Chapter 1. It’s been a rollercoaster ride, to say the least. Look at versus 4 & 5 again. What are Jesus’s instructions?
- In verse 6, we see the disciples reaction to Jesus. What do they mean by “restore the kingdom”? What is their expectation of Jesus?
- Jesus’s response in verses 7 & 8 could not have been the answer they expected. Why not? And what do you think Jesus was trying to tell them?
- And then in verses 9 & 10, Jesus is gone. Now what? What might they be thinking and feeling here?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you had no idea what to do or even what to think? What is that like? How did you respond?
- Read Matthew 10.28-31. What’s Jesus saying to the disciples and to us here? What is His promise to us when life becomes uncertain?
- Finish with Romans 8.28. How do you respond to this promise of God? Where do you need God to work for your good? To bring certainty? Or wisdom?