Mountains & Valleys – Compassion and Comfort
Small Group Questions from March 18th
- For many of us, we find compassion and comfort difficult to express and perhaps even more difficult to receive. Share an experience where you’ve seen or experienced compassion or comfort in action.
- Here’s an example of Jesus showing compassion. Read Matthew 9.35-37 together. What was it that caused Jesus to have compassion? What does he do because of His compassion?
- Read 2 Corinthians 2.3-7 together.
- There’s this phrase in verse 3 – “the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort.” What a beautiful thought! How does this truth about God differ from many people’s perception of Him? Perhaps it’s even different than your understanding of God?
- In the middle of verse 4, we find the words, “so that.” Compare the phrases before and after those words in verse 4. What is Paul trying to say here? What do we do with this idea in real life?
- Look again a verse 7 – We share in our sufferings, and we share in our comfort. What situations do you find yourself in currently where you can share comfort with another person? And where do you need comfort from others?
- In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” This is a BIG promise. What does it teach us about the character of God and His love for us?