Read Matthew 5:20
- What do you think Jesus meant by this?
(Hint: if you get stuck, how did the Pharisees tend to define their “righteousness.”)
- Why is it important for us to know what Jesus meant by this statement? In other words, what is Jesus asking of us?
Read Luke 6:43-45
- We often tend to separate what we do and who we are (remember the “Lying vs. Liar” example Matt gave). What is Jesus teaching us here?
- Do you agree with Jesus? Can you think of any examples where this is not the case?
- Why do you think Christians sometimes get so focused on external things?
Romans 8:29 says, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son…” In Galatians, Paul adds the phrase, “…until Christ is formed in you”
- Looking at these verses, what would you say is the goal of the Christian life? Honestly, how realistic do you think that is?
- What things get in the way of this transformation happening in your own life? What things help?
- Lastly, what role are we given to play in our becoming like Christ? What role does God play?