- As we begin the season of Lent, it’s a great chance to think about and even reassess our understanding of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Start by thinking about and responding to this statement.
Jesus was fearless.
-What’s your first reaction?
-What examples can you think of?
-How is this different than the “common” perception of Jesus?
- Think about what it would be like to actually live fearlessly. That’s no small feat. So why was that possible for Jesus as he stared down constant opposition and threats?
- In many ways, it’s this fearlessness that led Jesus to his execution. Why were the authorities (Jewish & Roman) so threatened that they wanted Jesus dead?
- This means that the cross is about more than personal sin (as phenomenal as that is). So what does this do for us? How does this affect how we live today in God’s kingdom?
- Finish by reading and responding to Romans 8.31-39.