- John 15:13-17
- 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.
- Proverbs 13:20, 17:17, 18:24, 25:17, 27:14, 27:6, 29:5
- 1 Corinthians 15:33
- Romans 12:5
- Who was your best friend growing up, either as a kid or in high school?
- Did you have any imaginary friends growing up?
- Research shows that the average American has two close friends today, as compared to six 25 years ago. Why do you think that has happened? Do you see this in your own life or social circles?
- How do you define friend? A close friend?
- How do you think social media does or doesn’t impact your own ability to connect with people in real, trusted relationships?
- Friendships are “discovered and forged.” Which part of that process is harder for you – discovering them or forging (developing) them?
- Four building blocks or trademarks of great friendships are: constant, careful, candor, and counsel. Which of these do you value above the rest? Which of these do you struggle with the most?
- John 15 lays out Jesus’ definition of friendship. What does knowing that Jesus considers you a friend mean to you? What impact do you think that can have on your life and on the relationships you are in?
- Spend some time sketching out a picture of your relationship circles. Who are the five people you spend the most time with? Who are the fifteen influencers in your life? Where do you need to “discover and forge”?
- If you aren’t in a small group, take a next step toward intentionally building friendships and community. Join us for our Groups Connection Lunch on January 31. Full details here.