Small Group Questions
Taking Back Monday
from November 19
- Name one person from your past or present who was (or is) particularly impactful, in a positive way, in developing how you think of yourself? What has the person done or said to help build you up?
- Read Ephesians 4:29 together. Talk about what these phrases mean:
- “unwholesome talk”
- “helpful for building others up”
- “benefit those who listen”
- Think about a person from your past or present who was (or is) particularly impactful, but in a negative way, in how you think of yourself? What made those experiences hurtful or damaging?
- Now let’s turn it around. When you have been a negative influence on people? This may be at work or school or in your family.
- Think about these ideas for building other up and how you might implement them:
- Notice people.
- Call out character not just accomplishments.
- Celebrate someone else’s win.
- Thank your boss for what they do.
- Say something kind about someone else when they’re not around.
- Include encouragement in your critique.
- We acknowledge this isn’t always easy to do, but nonetheless, how is God glorified when we treat and speak to people in a way that is a benefit to them?