These questions are meant to be a choose-your-own-adventure. That is, use what you like. Skip what you don’t. And add to it in any way you see fit.
- Who do you know that is wise? What do you admire about that person?
- Have you ever watched someone else make a bad decision, and you knew ahead of time it was headed toward disaster? What clued you in? And what happened – how did it end?
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
- Perhaps this is a simply question, but it could be a good place to start. What is wisdom? And what makes it so desirable?
- We can find wisdom from many sources…including (and especially) listening to the Holy Spirit and by reading the Bible. In your experiences, how does that work? What does that look like?
- Our emotions and our inexperience…both often get in the way of wisdom. What’s that all about? How have you seen that play out?
Ask & Listen
Proverbs 1.5 – Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.
Proverbs 12.15 – The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.
Proverbs 15.22 – Plains fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
Proverbs 19.20 – Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise.
- How do you react to these passages in Proverbs? What does it bring to mind? And how does it make you feel?
- Think about a past decision that you had to make, one in which you absolutely needed the wisdom of others. What did you do? Good or bad, how did it turn out?
- For each of these wise statements, read them out loud and discuss as a group. What comes to mind? What situation might this be particularly relevant for you now?
- Making wise decisions requires that we are open and to be open requires us to be humble.
- We need to seek counsel from people who have nothing to lose by telling us the truth.
- When looking for wisdom, ask someone who is where you want to be in life.
- Is there a specific decision you are trying to make right now? How are you going to seek out wisdom as you make up your mind?