- Mark 8:27-38
- Also see our “Bible App Event” for an outline of the message.
TALK IT OVER
- In our society today, most things are sold or presented to us with all of the benefits listed up front, and any cost downplayed and tagged on to the end. Jesus seems to flip this and do the opposite, using language about taking up our cross. Why do you think he takes that approach?
- Even though there is a cost to following Jesus, salvation and grace is offered to use freely. How do you keep those two pieces separate and not confuse having to earn God’s love with having to make sacrifices as you pursue Him?
- Most of us probably won’t have to die for our faith in Jesus. But as Matt said, “Following Jesus will cost you something.” In what ways or situations have you already experience this? Are there any circumstances you are facing today that may lead you to make a choice and say no to your self?
- “My Soul > My Things.” In what ways it this easy for you to live? In what ways is it difficult or challenging?
- While it may be hard to admit times when we were consumers of Jesus rather than followers of Jesus, we ultimately have to make that choice and say no to our comfort or preferences. Are there any ways you can see that you’ve been consuming and need to start following?
- “Earthly possessions dazzle our eyes and delude us into thinking that they can provide security and freedom from anxiety. Yet all the time they are the very source of anxiety.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
Commonway is now in the Bible App! By using the Bible App Events, you will be able to stay in step with the entire Sunday experience and take it with you throughout the week. That means you’ll learn and remember more at church, have a convenient place to look back during the week, and have easy, one-tap ways to take action on next steps in getting connected or involved with the Commonway community. Learn more on the blog: www.commonwaychurch.com/now-commonway-is-in-the-bible-app/