You were made to
Small Group Questions – Week 6
- Here’s a big question to start with…What comes to mind when you hear the word follower? How about disciple? And fanatic? How important are the differences?
Continue to explore this idea of following Jesus and what that means. There are many stories in the Gospels that help paint this picture. For now, take a quick glance at these 5 passages in Luke.
- This will be a bit of choose-your-own-adventure. Start with Luke 9.57-62 and then choose 1 or 2 of the other passages. Then, for each one, discuss what Jesus is teaching us about following him. Here’s a list of questions that can help guide the conversation.
- What stands out to you? What do you like?
- What don’t you like? As in, what’s confusing or challenging?
- What is Jesus teaching us about the character of God?
- What is Jesus teaching us about faith?
- What is Jesus teaching us about doing the work of the kingdom?
- About obedience?
- Serving others?
- Victory over evil?
- To what degree do you think of yourself as a disciple of Jesus?
- In what ways have you experienced the highs and lows of following him? What have you learned? What wisdom have you gathered?
John 14.26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- How has the Holy Spirit played a role as you follow Jesus?
- What questions or struggles do you have as you try to figure this out? Are there ways in which Jesus confuses, annoys, or even distresses you?
- How can we pray for you?
As you wrap it up, read John 14.1-6 as an encouragement and a benediction.
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”
5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”